DeKalb County Takes a Stand with Non-Discrimination Ordinance

Nomad

Total posts
If you are from the LGBTQ+ community or are sensitive to LGBTQ+ issues, here is some good news for you. DeKalb County's Board of Commissioners recently passed a landmark Non-Discrimination Ordinance unanimously. The ordinance provides vital protections to residents in unincorporated county areas. This comprehensive ordinance combats discrimination based on factors such as race, religion, political affiliation, sexual orientation, and gender identity, impacting various aspects of life, from employment to business services and rental agreements. Violators may face penalties of up to $500 per offense, along with potential business and driver's permit suspensions.

The ordinance also offers a structured process for discrimination complaints, supported by Georgia Equality during its development.

Read more

Fantastic news! DeKalb County's unanimous approval of the Non-Discrimination Ordinance is a huge win for LGBTQ+ rights. This comprehensive law ensures equal treatment for all residents and sends a clear message that discrimination won't be tolerated. Kudos to everyone involved in making this happen!

As far as I'm concerned, everyone have the right to live their life they want it as long as they are not getting into other people's business. To me, this isn't even supposed to be an issue but unfortunately we all ain't the same which is why there's need for this kind of law in DeKalb County because it's very obvious that those who fall in the LGBTQ+ community have seen lots of attack from those who can't respect their decision to be who they want to be.

Thanks for sharing, @Nomad. One big takeaway for me is that this ordinance has serious teeth. Businesses in violation of the ordinance's civil rights protections are not only fined but can have their business licenses or driver's permits (for taxi drivers) suspended. The message is "if you want to do business the DeKalb you have to abide by these protections, or you're not permitted to do business at all."

This is great news for the LGTBQ+ community in DeKalb, we must all be seen equally before the law regardless of our race, beliefs, gender identity, etc...

Although I also believe that the penalty issued to violators is not very high, $500 for each violation committed It can be a fairly low penalty.

Thanks for sharing, @Nomad. One big takeaway for me is that this ordinance has serious teeth. Businesses in violation of the ordinance's civil rights protections are not only fined but can have their business licenses or driver's permits (for taxi drivers) suspended. The message is "if you want to do business the DeKalb you have to abide by these protections, or you're not permitted to do business at all."
Discrimination against minorities is a serious offense. As an individual, you have your own preferences and standards and you might like something and might dislike other things. However, this does mean you should be vocal. It is understandable that some people are against LGBTQ+ rights, but while doing business you can just concentrate on money. I think laws like this one should me implemented in other states as well.

If DeKalb County adopts a non-discrimination ordinance, it shows they are committed to fairness, equality, and inclusivity. This can protect people from unfair treatment and make the county more welcoming for everyone. The impact of the ordinance will depend on the specific rules, local situation, and community support.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back