Changes Coming to Animal Breeding Rules in Los Angeles

Nomad

Total posts
Are you based in Los Angeles and involved in animal breeding? There is something you should know. There's a big change happening in how the city handles breeding permits.

The Los Angeles Animal Services (LAAS) is thinking about stopping the issuance of breeding licenses because there are so many homeless animals in the city's shelters. Right now, getting a permit is as easy as paying a $235 fee, but that might not be the case for much longer. The LAAS believes that breeding permits should only be allowed when shelters have no more than 50 percent occupancy. However, these days, occupancy in these shelters is way higher. The Animal Shelter is also thinking about introducing permits for breeding rabbits because these animals are becoming more popular as pets. You can find more details about these changes here

I am all for this. There is a huge population of stray dogs, cats and other animals out there, and I imagine LA has a lot of stray animals hanging about. This is why I always tell people to get your pets from the pound, save them instead of getting a pet from a breeder. I liken it to a pet shop, I'd rather rescue a pet than bring more into the world, and I feel that's a big problem with those breeding animals. Especially dogs and cats.

Spay and neuter your pets as well.

I think their intent is nice, but they're also not considering that some people breed purebreds for a reason. Those breeders now have to relocate to keep their breeds pure and able to sell them. I do like the thought of encouraging people to go to shelters to get a dog. I'm just not sure that this is the way to go about that.

It's about time LA takes a stand against animal breeding permits. With so many homeless animals in shelters, it's crucial to prioritize adoption and reduce the need for breeders.

Here are some latest updates.
The Los Angeles City Council has decided to stop giving permits for dog breeding for a while. This is because there are too many dogs in the city's animal shelters. The council wants to wait until the shelters have fewer dogs.
Why are they doing this? Well, the city's shelters are overflowing with purebred dogs, and it's getting crowded. The council thinks that too dog breeding is making the problem worse.
What is the next move? Well, the city does not want to put dogs to sleep because of overcrowding. They also want to encourage people to adopt dogs from shelters instead of buying them from breeders.
You can read the detail news story here

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back