Aquatic Mosquito Control

Korner6

Total posts
My parents live on 10 acres in Michigan and mosquitos can be such a nuisance in the summer that my dad recently bought a backpack sprayer and started spraying some of the wetter areas of the property himself. It really does work and it's almost luxurious to be outside my family house during the summertime without getting eaten up. I was a little worried when he first start doing it about insecticide being sprayed in areas my kids might play in, but did some research and learned that the chemical only really posed health risks if the exposure level is really high (so I think it's ok??). My dad's friends have even started having him over to their houses to spray their properties too. Quality of life really is so much better without mosquitoes around, lol.

I never thought about this being a permitting issue, but now that you mention this update from Washington State, I'm thinking that spraying for mosquitoes is almost certainly regulated in Michigan as well. What I'm not clear on, though, is if there'd be any requirements for spraying on private property - away from state waters - as is the case for my parents. It's also possible this is something that local authorities would regulate....Whatever the case, I'm thinking my parents should probably look into permitting requirements for their area (not to mention consequences of violations, lol).

My parents live on 10 acres in Michigan and mosquitos can be such a nuisance in the summer that my dad recently bought a backpack sprayer and started spraying some of the wetter areas of the property himself. It really does work and it's almost luxurious to be outside my family house during the summertime without getting eaten up. I was a little worried when he first start doing it about insecticide being sprayed in areas my kids might play in, but did some research and learned that the chemical only really posed health risks if the exposure level is really high (so I think it's ok??). My dad's friends have even started having him over to their houses to spray their properties too. Quality of life really is so much better without mosquitoes around, lol.

I never thought about this being a permitting issue, but now that you mention this update from Washington State, I'm thinking that spraying for mosquitoes is almost certainly regulated in Michigan as well. What I'm not clear on, though, is if there'd be any requirements for spraying on private property - away from state waters - as is the case for my parents. It's also possible this is something that local authorities would regulate....Whatever the case, I'm thinking my parents should probably look into permitting requirements for their area (not to mention consequences of violations, lol).

When I was growing up, we used to run outside behind the fogging trucks that sprayed for mosquitos! I can't believe we were so stupid. I'm not sure I trust any data from the government on safety of chemicals though, so please be careful and allow the spray to dissipate before heading back outside in the area.

I never thought about needing a permit to spray for larger areas, but I would think that perhaps wedding venues might need to get a permit? Or festivals that are near water?

Ugh mosquitos, my worst enemy! But in all seriousness, they are an awful nuisance and any way we stop them I'm for. Well, as long as these chemicals don't harm the land or water.

When summer rolls around, I can't handle it due to the excessive problems with mosquitos. They are never ending. :(

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back