Permits required for a street march protest in Los Angeles.

Fidelia

Apr 6, 2024
As we all know, activism is part of the democratic process in the United States. In Los Angeles, there is a provision for peaceful protests. However, when it comes to protests that involves street marches, special permits are needed.

For a street march protest in Los Angeles, a police permit is required from the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD). The police permit should be applied for 45 days before the planned protest. The application form can be obtained online from lapdonline.org. The purpose of the street march, the route and the participants of the march should be expressly stated in the application. A non refundable application fee of $69 is to be paid.

After all this have been met, the LAPD would review your application, process it and issue a permit if your application is found worthy.

I think this is a fair process considering the use of roadways. I think as long as it's not blocking the flow of traffic, it's fine. But often I've seen protests go where they block busy roads, often angering people in the process. Those types of protests are probably unpermitted and probably get shut down fast. Which is why it's best to set up a designated area of protest on a road that isn't blocking any flow of traffic, as in people can go an alternative path that doesn't take away from their daily commute.

The problem I see is that there are often a lot of protests that go unpermitted, or ones that just happen due to a horrible action by the city, or there is mass outcry for an event that took place in the city. I think we're in an age where protests are going to get bigger and bigger, and we're going to see lots more of them in the coming years.

It's wise to get a permit, but not everyone will follow the rules. That's when you need to worry, because often those who are unpermitted, often make the most mess and cause the most havoc. But, there are also safe protests that are done without a permit. I'm sure they would get into some trouble, but if it's a safe protest, I don't think the city would make a fuss unless it was to start blocking the flow of traffic.

The problem I see is that there are often a lot of protests that go unpermitted, or ones that just happen due to a horrible action by the city, or there is mass outcry for an event that took place in the city. I think we're in an age where protests are going to get bigger and bigger, and we're going to see lots more of them in the coming years.

It's wise to get a permit, but not everyone will follow the rules. That's when you need to worry, because often those who are unpermitted, often make the most mess and cause the most havoc. But, there are also safe protests that are done without a permit. I'm sure they would get into some trouble, but if it's a safe protest, I don't think the city would make a fuss unless it was to start blocking the flow of traffic.
That is a good point, sometimes you don't know when a protest is going to happen. Something bad could happen in this country, that results in nationwide protests, and I imagine a lot of those protests go unpermitted, especially when there seems to be a time-frame for when a permit is needed before a protest is enacted, at least when it comes to using the streets for said protest. The ones that go through the permitting process are likely to be a lot safer, have more recourse and so on. Going unpermitted, anything can happen.

Permits are generally required for street march protests in LA and most states. You are required to obtain permission from the city to hold a demonstration. The requirements and procedures can vary depending on factors such as the size of the protest, the proposed route, and potential impacts on traffic and public safety. You need to contact the Los Angeles Police Department or the Los Angeles City Hall for information on the permit application.

For further information on this GPT, visit the U.S. National/Federal GPT page.

Back